Explore language change in our KS5 Dictionary Workshop. This introduction to Johnson’s famous work encourages students to write their own definitions, and to think about the changes in the way certain words are used from the 18th century to now. The guided visit includes lots of interaction and hands-on language activities.
- Introduction to literacy and the production of texts in the 18th century with hands-on activities
- A short introductory film about the life of Samuel Johnson and writing of his Dictionary
- The Dictionary room –see an original first edition and use copies to explore the text
- The Wood Library –see and handle original comparative Dictionaries and 18th century texts
- Workshop session with challenges and word games to explore definitions, changing meanings and outlandish words from Johnson’s time
£2.50 per student, please contact us to book or discuss your visit What teachers have to say about our Dictionary workshops:“Superb. Everything was handled and delivered brilliantly. Students commented on how welcoming the atmosphere was”
“Fantastic morning spent with my year 12s. The resources were excellent and they learnt so much. Thank you”